People make goals all the time, such as eating healthy, exercising more or not hitting the snooze button, only to go back to the old ways before long. Have you faced this challenge with Bible reading?
If the idea of reading the entire Bible in one year intimidates you, take heart! As Jehovah’s Witnesses, few commitments can be more important than the commitment to read the Bible more often – better yet, to read the entire Bible in one year. Why should this resolution succeed where so many have failed before? Because you have faith, of course – and because there are many readily available tools that can make this goal much more attainable. So, what can you do to reach the goal of reading the entire Bible?
Here are our quick tips:
- Schedule Bible reading into your daily routine. Set aside a regular time for it — perhaps early in the morning, at noontime, at suppertime, or before you go to bed. Just reading snatches of it during the day when you happen to have time will not ensure regularity. Also plan a backup strategy. If for some reason you are unable to do your Bible reading at your preferred time, have another time selected so that you never let a day go by without reading God’s Word.
Bible Reading Bookmarks
- Make your goal attainable. Goals should make us stretch and grow, but they must also be achievable and realistic. Personal abilities, skills, and available time must be taken into account. For some, more time may be required to accomplish the goal without becoming discouraged.
Encourage family members to pursue
daily Bible reading
- Make reading convenient. Having a schedule is one thing, but being able to stick to it is another matter. We know that you are very busy and likely spend a good part of your day at work, at school or somewhere in between and don’t have the space to take your Bible out and read. That is precisely why you should know about the new Pocket New World Translation Bible. It’s very small, can fit conveniently in your pocket or small purse and go with you anywhere. Whether sitting at your desk or on the bus, it is the perfect size for a quick read when you’re on a tight schedule and in a tight space. If you want to keep your pocket Bible protected, check out these quality pocket Bible covers.
- Use technology to your advantage. Technology is a big time-saver, isn't it? But it can be an
Use your mobile device
- Get out your smart phone or tablet, and download the free JW mobile app for Apple or Android. Now you can substitute vital Bible reading time for a few minutes of Facebooking!
- Set a Bible reading reminder. Use the "Reminders" or "Calendar" feature of your device to pop up and say: "Hey! It's time for your daily Bible reading."
It may sound like a big commitment but that's what goals are all about: challenging yourself to become a better you. So make it your firm determination to peer daily into the mirror of God’s Word, the Bible. In this way, you can be sure that you allow God to speak to you every day. — Psalm 16:8. With so many resources at hand, there is no reason not to give it your best. Is there a special Bible reading TIP you would like to share? Please let us know in the comments below!